Unfriendly reminder that in America it’s reasonable to say an unarmed black kid deserved to be shot six times because he might have robbed a convenience store, but a white kid shouldn’t be kicked off the high school football team just because he violently raped a girl.
- Donate money to have those arrested in Ferguson released on bail. These people belong on the streets, especially at a time like this.
- Send a note of condolence to the family of Michael Brown. Let’s not forget the tragedy that started this.
- Donate to the Michael Brown Memorial Fund. This is an official fundraiser run by the Brown family’s lawyers. They are going through so much, lets make sure at the very least it isn’t a financial burden.
- Help get people on the ground. There are activists and reporters who want to do their part and get to Ferguson. Donate and get them there. I am so far aware of Zellie Imani, Zak Jemmott, and JR Valrey (a reporter for SF Bay View).
- Donate to the Ferguson Youth Initiative.The children of this community deserve better than to be gunned down. Make sure they get that in the future.
- Feed the children of Ferguson. Many children in America rely on school to get their meals and thanks to the civil unrest caused by the police, the children of Ferguson have been without school since Monday. These people want to make sure that doesn’t mean anyone is going hungry.
- Find a National Moment of Silence in your area. If one doesn’t exist, start one. Share this experience with others. Solidarity is important.
- Keep awareness up. Not just among the like-minded people on tumblr, this is something everyone needs to be aware of.
- Spread accurate information. There is a lot of distortion going on here and spreading every piece of information as it is reported only makes that worse. First and foremost make sure you are listening carefully, then share what is important and relevant.
If you are aware of any good causes or ways to help that I have missed, please reblog and add them.
i refuse to be shamed for having a body. i refuse to get embarrassed when a tampon falls out of my purse or spend a whole day anxious about if someones going to notice that i forgot to shave a patch of leg hair. i wasnt put on this earth to spend my time apologizing for my existence and i refuse to let anyone make me feel like i have to waste my energy on all that petty shit
Guys, seriously. Signal boost. I needed this the other night, and a few weeks ago I was talking with someone who needed it. This is the best freaking thing ever.
NO NO NO.
DO NOT USE IMALIVE.
THEY ARE CONNECTED WITH “TO WRITE LOVE ON HER ARMS” WHICH IS AN EXTREME CHRISTIAN GROUP THAT IS RLY SHITTY TO LGBTQ YOUTH AMONG OTHER TERRIBLE THINGS (I’M PRETTY SURE THEY’RE A SCAM AS WELL)
IMALIVE IS NOT A GOOD THING.
IF YOU WANT TO TALK TO SOMEONE ABOUT THAT STUFF BUT CAN’T USE THE PHONE. PLEASE USE CRISISCHAT.ORG ISNTEAD. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT USE IMALIVE THEY ARE DANGEROUS
I reblogged IMALIVE last night. I’m reblogging this post for the correction. Thank you!
They’re frequently not online and also berated my girlfriend when she finally was able to talk to one of them. So the To Write Love on Her Arms thing is just another turd to add to the shit stew
<p>As tears, rage, and protest accompany the fallout from the shooting death of Michael Brown, an unarmed 18-year-old Missouri teenager, the investigation seems to be missing a crucial piece. </p>
<p>Even as the Ferguson Police Department has turned over its investigation to St. Louis County police and the FBI has opened up a parallel investigation into the shooting, no official has spoken with Dorian Johnson, who was with Brown at the time of the shooting. </p>
<p>MSNBC’s Trymaine Lee spoke with Johnson, who described the episode in which Brown was reportedly accosted, assaulted, and shot by a police officer just days before he was set to begin college.</p>
I’m so fucking livid. One of the rapists in the infamous 2012 Steubenville, Ohio case where two members of the local high school’s football team raped a 16 year-old and posted pictures of her, was released from the juvenile facility he was supposed to be serving a full year in (he was only there for 10 months) is back in the high school AND BACK ON THE FOOTBALL TEAM.
You don’t get to go back to the football team when you’re convicted rape. Not only am i angry he’s back on the team, but the fact that the school took him back is what infuriates me. Do you think the 16 year-old girl went back to that school? Why the fuck should her rapist be allowed back on the damn campus playing for the damn football team like NOTHING happened.
This is fucking bullshit.